INDES 472 Capstone Design Studio 2 • 5 Cr.
Focuses on the problem solving discipline of the design process and its application to interior design. Completes the capstone studio sequence with a design development phase. Students work on a variety of professionally relevant self-directed interior design projects, pursue an individualized area of inquiry and project context, and prepare a detailed design solution and project documentation. Builds on research begun in INDES 440 and uses research and concepts developed in INDES 471 for design development process in INDES 472. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the program and INDES 471 with a C or better.
Description starting Summer 2020
The second of two capstone thesis studios, focusing on the design development phase of the design interior process. Students build on schematic design work from INDES 471, furthering their creative exploration of an individualized interior design thesis project, preparing detailed documents and other materials for a senior thesis presentation. Prerequisites: Admission to BAA program and upper-division studios. INDES 471 with a C or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Master appropriate integration of multi-platform technology and tools, as well as knowledge of complex building systems that influence interior design solutions.
- Identify, evaluate, and synthesize relevant contexts and precedents from field learning, case study and other research to inform interior design solutions, and apply effective strategies for achieving human wellbeing, comfort, and performance.
- Combine visual, verbal, and written presentations to communicate a persuasive design development process, solution, and thesis narrative, using highly sophisticated design strategies and varied expressive methods.
- Assume a primary role and responsibilities in directing an interior design process, including the tools and dynamics of effective multi-disciplinary collaboration and team leadership.
- Apply creative flexibility and elaboration to resourcefully achieve detailed and individually expressive design solutions that uniquely respond to thesis, program, and site parameters.
- Apply methods of inquiry, data collection, and analysis to effectively frame, synthesize, and present the interconnected issues underlying a complex interior design issue.
- Apply relevant and advanced-level interior design knowledge, skills, and abilities to the project-based scenarios of an individualize design thesis, intent, program, context, and site.