ISIT 450 Network Vulnerabilities and Countermeasures • 5 Cr.
This course covers the concepts of network vulnerabilities from a hacker's perspective. Its focus is professional penetration testing and the securing of information assets. The course provides students with the knowledge to prevent, detect, and respond to network security incidents. Prerequisite: TECH 223, NSCOM 202, NSCOM 227 and admission to the Cyber Security and Systems Administration concentration of the BAS IST program, or permission of the instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Understand the importance of legal and ethical conduct in using computer network system.
- Effectively use appropriate information security software & assessment tools.
- Conduct security reconnaissance in order to identify network vulnerabilities and attack vectors.
- Evaluate where information networks are most vulnerable.
- Perform penetration tests into secure networks for evaluation purposes.
- Critique security plans designed at protecting data assets against attacks from the Internet.
- Develop an ongoing security strategy and investigate/mitigate data risk.
- Quantitatively assess and measure threats to information assets and implement proper safeguards based on risk analysis.
- Fall 2019 (current quarter)