IT 103 Networking Basics • 5 Cr.
Provides an understanding of the basics of networking to students not majoring in Network Support. Topics include: network topologies, media, protocols, hardware and software. This class also covers content listed for the COMPTIA Network+ exam. Course includes practical experience and business case studies. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment into ENGL& 101 or completion of ENGL 092 or 093 with a C or better. Recommended: BTS 161 or equivalent work experience.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe network architecture and topologies.
- Describe the need for and structure of networking models such as Open System Interconnection (OSI) and Transport Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
- Configure, maintain, and troubleshoot network devices using appropriate network tools.
- Make basic network solution recommendations.
- Discuss common network protocols and media types.
- Design and implement a simple SOHO (small office home office) network.
- Identify security threats and vulnerabilities in networks and describe policies that minimize risks.