JAPN& 121 Japanese I • 5 Cr.
Develops beginning level listening and conversation skills along with reading and writing hiragana and katakana characters. Some relevant aspects of Japanese culture are introduced.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Read and write the basic phonetic characters of the Japanese kana (hiragana and katakana) syllabaries - including diacritic marks
- Read and write formal-style sentences about current, future and past states and activities using simple nominal and verbal phrases with correct particles and tenses
- Understand and reproduce the correct pronunciation and intonation of spoken Japanese words and phrases
- Use basic conversational phrases and participate in common personal interactions (such as exchanging greetings, self-introductions, shopping, describing the locations of objects, extending and accepting or declining invitations, etc.) in formal settings
- Recognize and understand the effects of social context on the spoken language (such as formal vs. informal styles, omission of first and second-person pronouns, hesitation to complete sentences especially when declining an invitation, etc.)