JAPN& 122 Japanese II • 5 Cr.
Continues JAPN& 121. Continues to develop listening, speaking, and reading and writing skills of Japanese. Some basic kanji characters and relevant aspects of Japanese culture are introduced. Recommended: JAPN &121 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Learn 80-90 kanji characters
- Recognize the distinctions between kanji characters and the characters of the two phonetic kana syllabaries and know how and when each should be used in modern Japanese
- Read and write formal-style sentences about current, future and past states and activities using nominal, verbal and adjectival phrases with correct particles and tenses
- Use and comprehend basic conversational phrases in more detailed personal interactions (such as talking about self and families, suggesting a plan of action, making requests, offering assistance, asking for and granting or denying permission, etc.)
- Begin to use more complex verbal sentence structures, using TE-forms and Short forms
- Begin to recognize and use the informal speech style (in present/future tense only) for casual conversations with close friends
- Expand understanding of the effects of social context on the spoken language, which is reflected in the appropriate choices of vocabulary, grammatical forms and expressions