MATH& 131 Math for Elementary Education I • 5 Cr.
Study of problem solving strategies, number theory and numeration related to topics taught at the K-8 level. Includes analysis of learning difficulties and teaching strategies for these concepts. Fulfills the quantitative or symbolic reasoning course requirement at BC. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment, or MATH 099 with a C or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Use problem-solving models and apply them to concepts introduced throughout the course.
- Explain the structure of the real number system and how this structure relates to learning mathematics.
- Use various algorithms and mental computations to solve problems dealing with whole numbers, fractions, decimals, ratios, proportions, and percentages.
- Apply basic number theory concepts.
- Perform operations in different bases. Perform basic function operations, including identifying the domain and range of a function from its graph.
- Fall 2020 (current quarter)