MATH& 141 Precalculus I • 5 Cr.
Emphasizes graphs and polynomial functions. Other topics include the theory of equations and rational, exponential, inverse, and logarithmic functions. Either MATH& 141 or MATH 138 may be taken for credit, not both. Fulfills the quantitative or symbolic reasoning course requirement at BC. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment or MATH 099 with a B- or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:.
- Perform operations on algebraic expressions.
- Recognize, evaluate, graph, and transform functions, inverse functions, and circles.
- Perform operations with functions, including composition.
- Find rational and complex zeros of polynomials using the theory of polynomial equations.
- Solve equations, inequalities, and systems of linear equations.
- Solve application problems.