MATH& 142 Precalculus II • 5 Cr.
Prepares students for the MATH& 151/152/153 calculus sequence. Students work intensively with functional trigonometry, polar coordinates, translation and rotation of axes, plane analytic geometry, lines and planes in space, and non-linear systems. Fulfills the quantitative or symbolic reasoning course requirement at BC. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment, or MATH& 141 with a C- or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Evaluate, analyze and graph trigonometric and inverse trigonometric functions.
- Solve trigonometric equations and non-linear systems of equations.
- Verify trigonometric identities and simplify trigonometric expressions.
- Analyze and graph conic sections and parametric equations.
- Evaluate, analyze and graph functions expressed in polar coordinates.
- Perform operations on vectors, including the dot product.
- Solve application problems.