MATH 097 Introductory Algebra I • 5 Cr.
Introduces basic algebra skills for students with little or no background. Topics include signed numbers and perimeter, area, and volume of basic geometric figures. Introduces algebraic expressions, linear equations, integer exponents, polynomial arithmetic, factoring, radicals, and graphing, as well as applications and model building. Recommended: Basic arithmetic skills.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Perform basic arithmetic calculations with fractions, decimals, percents, and signed numbers.
- Transform and interpret algebraic expressions using polynomial operations and properties of exponents.
- Create graphs of linear relationships and extract information from graphs.
- Solve linear and quadratic equations.
- Compute familiar geometric quantities in the contexts of linear and quadratic equations and introductory modeling.