MBS 320 Molecular Biosciences Seminar • 2 Cr.
This course provides strategies for reading and analyzing articles in molecular biosciences. Students engage in discussion while they learn to evaluate data, analyze figures and focus on the major questions addressed in a scientific paper. Students can take this class a second time for elective credit. Prerequisite: BIOL& 211 or BIOL 275 with a C or higher.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify the most important questions addressed in a scientific article.
- Summarize a research article using language accessible to a lay audience.
- Compare and contrast methodologies used in different papers.
- Critically analyze the graphs and figures in an article.
- Evaluate a scientific paper.
- Propose alternative explanations for the results of an article.
- Fall 2020 (current quarter)