MKTG 135 Principles of Retailing • 5 Cr.
Examines the fundamental principles and practices of retail merchandising. Students discuss types, location, layout, organization, profit planning, and operating costs of retail outlets.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain how the economy, demographic changes, and legislation affect the retail merchandise mix.
- Name and describe factors affecting the consumer's purchase decision.
- Explain the structure and functions of various types of retail firms including stores, direct retail marketing, e-retailing, and international retailing.
- Describe appropriate retail locations based on trading area research.
- Create a store layout and design.
- Describe market segmentation and define a target market.
- Explain the planning phase and selection process of the merchandise mix.
- Calculate merchandise prices for profitable store or web-based operations.
- Analyze income statements to identify problem areas.
- Create and explain strategies for successful retail promotion.