MUSC 115 History of Jazz • 5 Cr.
Surveys the development of Jazz from its origins in New Orleans, through the big bands of the swing era, to the development of Bop, the fusion of Rock and Jazz, as well as techno Jazz. Course includes lectures, listening activities, some research, and demonstrations.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of and the use of terminology common to the discussion of jazz and the history of jazz.
- Students will be able to describe the characteristics and development of the various forms of jazz.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the timeline of the major developments of the jazz styles.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to aurally identify the various forms of jazz.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the people who contributed to the development of jazz, including information about their lives, their music and the role they played in the art forms development.
- Students will demonstrate their ability to synthesize the materials covered in class through writing a review of jazz entertainment to which they are exposed.
- Fall 2020 (current quarter)