MUSC 116 History of Rock & Roll • 5 Cr.
Traces the development of Rock and Roll from its roots in Jazz, Rhythm and Blues, Hillbilly, and Country idioms. Covers both instrumental and vocal styles from Elvis, the British invasion, heavy metal, Britney Spears, and other contemporary performers. Students learn to identify styles, musical characteristics, artists, and periods of music through listening, group discussion, and written texts.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Summarize the history of Rock Music Identify the sources and roots of Rock Music.
- Define the elements of the Rock and Roll style.
- Analyze aural rock music examples.
- Describe the cultural impact and influence of Rock Music.
- Summarize the evolution of genres in Rock Music.