MUSC 243 Second-Year Private Instruction II • 2 Cr.
Provides one-on-one instruction on a variety of instruments or voice from beginning to advanced levels. Instruction must be provided by an approved teacher with at least one 30 minute lesson per week. Students pay cost of lesson. May be repeated for a maximum of 4 credits. Prerequisite: Three quarters of MUSC 140 or MUSC 143 or permission of program chair.
For permission and registration please contact Brian Cobb at email@example.com.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Perform a skills and performance level inventory.
- Design a course of study that was followed during the quarter.
- Organize their time to attend a 60 minute long lesson on a weekly basis (8 lessons is the minimum to earn credit for the course)
- Develop and implement a practice routine that provides for consistent growth and preparation of the materials worked on in each lesson.
- Discuss the implications of the role of taking private lessons and developing practice habits might play in their future involvement in music.
- Perform and/or discuss the intent of exercises designed to improve tone quality, intonation, technical mastery of their instrument or voice. Discuss the student's musical growth as a result of the exercises
- Demonstrate a growth in their ability to read music.
- Demonstrate growth in their ability to interpret music through the performance and/or discussion of such concepts as musical dynamics, phrasing and expression, rhythmic feel, articulation and other idioms assigned by the teacher.
- Demonstrate proper performance skills through the preparation and performance of a musical selection that is personally expressive and is representative of their quarters work.