NURS 256 Nursing Care of the Maternal Client • 2 Cr.
This course focuses on the nurse's role in the care of the maternal patient and family and highlights the normal physiological and emotional changes related to pregnancy. The nursing process is implemented and evaluated in the context of overall assessment data. Opportunities for reflective practice, clinical reasoning development, and collaboration are integrated into learning activities. Prerequisites: NURS 124 with a C or better and satisfactory completion of NURS 125.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe normal pregnancy and common complications
- Explain how the nurse's approach to mother-baby care is impacted by the patient's family culture
- Apply the nursing process to a pregnant patient and family
- Engage in clinical reasoning through exemplars
- Explain nursing interventions for complications of pregnancy