NURS 261 Pre-Professional Nursing Preceptorship • 4 Cr.
This course assists in the transition from nursing student to the role of professional nurse in the clinical setting. The students, working with a registered nurse (RN) preceptor, develop their ability to prioritize and delegate care for multiple patents while using concepts of health information technology and evidence-based practice to assure quality and safety. Formerly NURS 222Z. Prerequisites: NURS 254 and NURS 256 with a grade of C or better, and NURS 255 and NURS 257 with a grade of Satisfactory or Credit. Grading: Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Apply knowledge learned from previous courses to current client situations
- Demonstrate organization, prioritization, and delegation of care of multiple clients
- Execute nursing process based upon principles of pathophysiology, evidence-based practice, and individualized patient assessments
- Analyze situations to reduce safety risks of multiple patients
- Identify patient and family learning needs of multiple patients
- Integrate input from other health care team members to improve individual and team performance
- Use systematic documentation to increase accuracy of clinical records