OLS 100 Nutrition Health & Fitness I • 2 Cr.
Examines the concept of a balanced diet, exercise and health, wellness and food safety. Nutritional models are presented to allow the student to understand and build a healthy lifestyle. Prerequisite: OLS 107, 110, and 111 and Acceptance into the program. Course is graded Credit/No Credit.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss basic principles of nutrition by identifying nutrient dense foods
- Interpret and apply food label information to make healthy food choices
- Create menus that align with nutritional guidelines
- Apply dietary guidelines to evaluate personal dietary habits
- Discuss how physical activity impacts overall health and wellness
- Apply physical activity fitness guidelines to create personal goals
- Identify strategies to safely reach and maintain an appropriate weight
- Explain potential health and safety risks related to food storage and preparation
- Fall 2021 (current quarter)