OLS 165 World Culture Analysis through Film • 2 Cr.
View and analyze a variety of non-fiction, and historical fiction films and make connections between films and world culture. Students examine and describe how films express the world in spatial terms, human interaction, and cultural uniqueness. Structured to accommodate special needs learners. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Define and describe different film genres and how they relate to communicating culture in film
- Identify ways filmmakers communicate cultural uniqueness in film
- Compare and contrast use of stereotypes in films and discuss how they affect the film's message and emotional impact
- Explain the impact of cultural influences in film
- Discuss how Hollywood has shaped audiences' understanding of world cultures
- Research cultural information and compare the cultural characteristics presented in the film
- Develop and assess critical film reviews with an emphasis on the ability of the film to convey a sense of reality in portrayed cultures