PE 170 Tap Technique I • 2 Cr.
Introduces the basic technique and principles of Tap Dance. Students gain flexibility and strength together with movement vocabulary. May be repeated for a total of 6 credits. Same as DANCE 170. Either DANCE 170 or PE 170 may be taken for credit, not both. Students will be required to buy their own tap shoes.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Perform a series of exercises to improve posture, balance and alignment, while working toward correct body placement and muscle reconditioning.
- Outline practical guidelines needed to improve personal dance skills.
- Display elements of physical fitness, range of motion, coordination and flexibility.
- Exhibit techniques that incorporate timing, phrasing and dynamics in dance movement.
- Improve stamina and balance.
- Perform Tap choreography at regular tempo using correct counts.
- Perform Tap Dance sequences by being secure enough in the basic movement, technique and rhythm.
- Identify Tap Dance as an integral part of American Culture and History in dance and theater