PE 171 Tap Technique II • 2 Cr.
Description starting Summer 2019
Continues Tap Technique I with more challenging techniques and principles of Tap Dance. Students gain flexibility and strength together with movement vocabulary. Same as DANCE 171. Either DANCE 171 or PE 171 may be taken for credit, not both. May be repeated for a total of 6 credits. Students will be required to buy their own tap shoes but they should already have them as they should have already taken 170. Prerequisite: PE 170 or DANCE 170.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Perform a series of exercises to improve posture, balance and alignment, while working toward correct body placement and muscle reconditioning.
- Outline practical guidelines needed to improve personal dance skills.
- Display elements of physical fitness, range of motion, coordination and flexibility.
- Exhibit techniques that incorporate timing, phrasing and dynamics in dance movement.
- Improve stamina and balance.
- Perform Tap choreography at regular tempo using correct counts.
- Perform Tap Dance sequences by being secure enough in the basic movement, technique and rhythm.
- Identify Tap Dance as an integral part of American Culture and History in dance and theater
- Perform more complicated rhythms and more speed.