POLS 210 Gender and Politics • 5 Cr.
Why are women underrepresented in legislatures across the globe? What happens when women run for political office? How has the transgender rights movement transformed political systems? This class examines the relationship between gender and politics, political choices, and civic action, with a focus on non-dominant groups.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Define patriarchy and critically analyze political processes that lead to gender inequality.
- Understand the history of gender and political participation in the U.S.
- Understand and evaluate core concepts in feminist political theories, including women of color and intersectional feminist approaches.
- Describe and evaluate the impact of gender diversity in governmental institutions.
- Explain the significance of the transgender rights movement.
- Critically analyze and engage with prominent proposals to end forms of gender violence, inequality and underrepresentation in politics.