RAIT 340 Fetal Echocardiography for Sonographers • 3 Cr.
Designed to provide didactic preparation for ARDMS certified sonographers for advanced level certification in fetal echocardiography. Content covers all areas included in the specialty exam offered by the ARMDS. This course is intended to meet the degree requirements of the Diagnostic Medical Sonography concentration of the Radiation & Imaging Sciences program. Prerequisites: Admission into the Radiation & Imaging Sciences Program or permission of the Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify the incidence of congenital heart disease, indications for the exam, and embryology of the fetal heart.
- Identify standard views, describe anatomy visualized, and label it on image
- Explain normal fetal heart physiology and identify sonographic procedures to evaluate it.
- Describe structural heart anomalies, identify them on image, and describe techniques used to create the image.
- Identify functional imaging procedures for the fetal heart and describe alternative protocols for accomplishing the exam.
- Identify acquired pathologies and describe their appearance on image.