SOC 150 The Social Lives of Children and Youth • 5 Cr.
What are the challenges of being a young person in American society, and how do young people negotiate those challenges? Investigate the experiences of youth, and learn to apply sociological thinking to everyday life. Themes include youth subcultures, identity development, friendships and dating, and social problems of youth like drug use and eating disorders.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss the ideas of "childhood," "adolescences" and "youth" from a sociological perspective.
- Describe the process and major agents of socialization in contemporary American society.
- Identify the crucial role gender, class, sexuality, and race play in identity development.
- Critically analyze the political, economic, and social forces that affect children and youth.
- Fall 2020 (current quarter)