SOC 230 Education in the 21st Century • 5 Cr.
What role do education and schools play in society? How do schools both reinforce and challenge prevailing social practices? Untangle such complex issues as gender differences in education, racial and ethnic segregation, and affirmative action, and learn more about current political controversies about schools.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain the educational system from a sociological perspective.
- Identify the ways in which schools are used to enforce enculturation, assimilation, and conformity to dominant ways of thinking.
- Describe how schools both challenge and perpetuate inequalities between people.
- Explain how and why alternative educational models differ from the dominant cultural system.
- Fall 2021 (current quarter)