SOC 254 Gender in the Social World • 5 Cr.
Are you born a "man" or "woman," or does society make us "men" and "women?" Examine the ways in which gender organizes social life and shapes the distribution of power in society. Themes may include media stereotyping, gender roles, sex segregation in the workforce, sexual politics, and the experiences of women and men in families.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Illustrate a sociological understanding of sex and gender.
- Analyze the ways in which societies are fundamentally organized by sex/gender systems.
- Describe how power plays a central role in the social construction of sex/gender.
- Explain how experiences of gender are shaped by class and race.
- Winter 2020 (current quarter)