SPAN& 223 Spanish VI • 5 Cr.
Continues SPAN& 222. Format includes extensive audio and Internet usage. Recommended: SPAN&222 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Increase skill--more complexity and sophistication is expected by the end of each class level.
- Comprehend the target language spoken at average or rapid speeds by native and non-native speakers, which may include some idiomatic expressions and colloquialisms.
- Communicate effectively in informal, open-ended situations, with appropriate grammar, using more complex sentence structures, idioms and vocabulary with clear pronunciation and intonation.
- Express thoughts and ideas in writing in an organized manner through short compositions, using proper syntax, a variety of sentence structures, correct modes and tenses, with increased, complexity of expression, originality of ideas, use of idioms and precision in spelling and punctuation.
- Effectively use reading strategies (cognates, prior knowledge, visuals, etc) to comprehend authentic written material of various kinds: describing, and summarizing content, discerning main idea, identifying author's tone, audience, and message.
- Discuss the similarities and differences among French-speaking cultures, demonstrating increased sensitivity and appreciation of these cultures' histories, customs, ideas, and values as compared to the student's own. This awareness is demonstrated by students bringing outside experiences and research back to the class room for verbal and written discussion.