TRANS 201 Advanced Translation Skills I • 3 Cr.
Hands-on experience in the translation, editing, and finalization of actual commercial texts. Texts are drawn from a variety of fields including science technology, legal commercial, and medical. Emphasis is on professional presentation. Included is a team translation project. Prerequisites: Completion of TRANS 100 Level Courses (TRANS 101, 103, 104, 105, 106) with a grade of C or higher, or permission of Program Manager.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Create (and edit and proofread) a client-ready translation in a variety of fields under real-life conditions (e.g. deadlines) – alone and in a team
- Evaluate the quality of a translation and accept and learn from criticism from other translators, editors, and proofreaders
- Analyze a source document for translation and estimate production time
- Perform more advanced linguistic and terminological research and develop glossaries
- Select suitable field(s) of specialization
- Reflect on translation assignments and arrive at an unbiased self-evaluation
- Fall 2021 (current quarter)